Injured Groves sets sights on world title after pulling out of Anderson bout
09:36 GMT, 13 March 2012
George Groves has admitted his next fight will be for the
WBO super-middleweight title after he pulled out of Friday’s showdown with
The British and Commonwealth champion withdrew from the
fight at Wembley Arena after suffering a back injury in sparring.
And Groves later confirmed he will not fight the Scot until
after he takes on world champion Robert Stieglitz.
Injured: George Groves (right) pulled out of his fight with Kenny Anderson
German promoters SES Boxing won the purse bid for the title
fight on Monday after the Londoner was made mandatory challenger.
'I am sorry to
confirm I have had to pull out of my scheduled fight this Friday due to injury.
I hope for a quick recovery but it just won't be in time for this week,’ Groves said.
‘I truly apologise
to everyone who has spent money and made plans around getting to the fight. I
really don't want to compromise myself and under-performing because I am not
100 per cent fit.
‘All clouds have a
silver lining and although I have really worked hard to get ready for this
fight that won't happen this week, I’m sure it will happen down the line.
Off: Groves and Anderson were set to meet at Wembley Arena on Friday
‘Maybe after I
challenge and win the WBO super-middleweight championship which I am now mandatory
for and which is scheduled for the next few months.
another world title to Britain.’
had been scheduled to fight Mikkel Kessler before the Dane withdrew, claiming
his hand injury hadn’t healed.
And the German confirmed
he is now looking forward to taking on Groves.
‘Kessler has called
off the fight three times now with no apology,’ he told World Boxing News.
Next up: Groves will now face German Robert Stieglitz for the WBO title
‘I was more than
willing to box him but it seems that something happens every time. I think the
WBO made the right decision in ordering the George Groves fight.
know too much about him. I just know that he is unbeaten in 14 fights, is 23 years-old and he is not bad.
‘We will see on fight night but I am the champion of the
world and remain that way.’