No-show Bellamy slapped with six-month driving ban and fined after speeding offence
Mike Hornby, Press Association
17:09 GMT, 29 January 2013
17:46 GMT, 29 January 2013
Craig Bellamy was banned from driving and fined today after admitting a motoring offence.
The former Wales captain did not attend Liverpool Magistrates Court where he was disqualified for six months and ordered to pay a 900 fine plus 400 costs.
The court heard Bellamy failed to respond to a police notice of intended prosecution.
Fined: As well as receiving a six-month driving ban, Craig Bellamy was fined 1,300
Simon Leong, prosecuting, said the notice was sent to the Cardiff City star after his Audi was caught by a speed camera travelling at 64mph in a 50mph section of the M62 towards Liverpool at 3.05am on April 3 last year.
At the time the former Manchester City and Newcastle United star was playing for Liverpool.
Mr Leong said: 'A notice of intended prosecution was sent to his address but the defendant did not respond.'
Bellamy, 33, was charged with failing to give a driver’s identity as required under section 172 of the Road Traffic Act.
He initially pleaded not guilty and a trial was set for November 27 last year but that had to be abandoned for medical reasons.
Bellamy changed his plea to guilty on
December 18, the day his rescheduled trial was due to take place, and
the matter was adjourned until today’s sentencing.
No-show: Bellamy didn't turn up to court, but had already entered a guilty plea
Penalty points: Bellamy already had three previous speeding offences on record
Mr Leong said Bellamy had totted up nine penalty points for three previous speeding offences.
'This offence carries six points taking him over the threshold for disqualification,' he added.
John Rowan, defending, told the court the star initially denied the offence because the notice was sent to an address where he was not living at the time.
'A plea of guilty was substituted in relation to that and he did accept that perhaps he could have done more to intercept the notice and ensure that the details were completed,' the solicitor said.
'The defendant understands he will be disqualified, that he is a totter with nine points and this carries a penalty of six.
'This is his first disqualification.'
Mr Rowan told the court he was not
provided with information about the defendant’s income but added: 'I
should point out that Mr Bellamy is a former Premiership footballer. He
is not currently playing in the Premier League but he is a professional
Deputy District Judge Simmons said: 'I must impose penalty points and six penalty points is the required number.
that he has nine penalty points already he must be disqualified from
driving for a period of six months under the totting up provisions.'
gave Bellamy credit of 10 per cent for his guilty plea, ordering a fine of 900
plus 400 costs and 15 victim surcharge which he must pay within 14