Window of opportunity closing for Benitez as Chelsea tighten the purse-strings
Ben Rumsby, Press Association
15:44 GMT, 29 January 2013
16:03 GMT, 29 January 2013
Rafael Benitez today admitted he does not think Chelsea will give him any more money to spend before the transfer window closes.
Interim Blues boss Benitez confirmed last week he had told owner Roman Abramovich that his squad was not strong enough to cope with the unprecedented fixture pile-up facing them this season.
But he appears to have given up hope of being allowed to add to the January signing of Demba Ba before Thursday’s transfer deadline.
The well runs dry: Benitez admits there are no more funds for transfers
No more: Benitez isn't expecting to add any signings to Demba Ba
On the way out: David Moyes is said to be a possible replacement for the manager next season
Asked if he anticipated any movement in the final 48 hours of the window, he said: 'I don’t think so but my job is to improve my squad and manage the situation we have.'
Abramovich and the board’s reluctance to back Benitez in the transfer market will reinforce the view that he has become a dead man walking at Stamford Bridge just over two months after succeeding Roberto Di Matteo.
It is understood there is currently no prospect of him losing his job before his contract expires this summer but reports persist that the club are already actively discussing replacing him next season.
Benitez shrugged off the speculation, which has included Everton boss David Moyes being linked with his job.
'My position is exactly the same,” he said, confirming he had held talks with technical director Michael Emenalo in the wake of Sunday’s FA Cup fourth-round draw at Brentford.
'I was speaking about football with Michael Emenalo, as normal.
'I will try to do my job as well as I can, and try to do my best every game.'