Bayern Munich say sorry to fans" over PR backfired stunt

Bayern forced to say sorry after fans' backlash to PR stunt promising new signing

Bayern Munich have apologised after a publicity stunt backfired leaving many fans angry and disappointed.

Bayern announced a 'spectacular transfer' on social medium Facebook but the message turned out to be a club promotion.

'Based on the many comments we received, there are many Facebook fans of Bayern Munich who were not happy with our action,' the German club said in a statement on Friday.

Blunder: Bayern Munich lost to Borussia Moenchengladbach last weekend

Blunder: Bayern Munich lost to Borussia Moenchengladbach last weekend

'We are sorry. It was not our intention to disappoint with the new FC Bayern app.'

Sports director Christian Nerlinger had announced on Thursday that a spectacular transfer would be unveiled at a news conference later that day.

The news conference, streamed exclusively for its Facebook page an hour later, turned out to be a promotion in which Nerlinger said every Bayern fan was the 'spectacular transfer. Our 12th man'.

Gaffe: Bayern sports director Christian Nerlinger made the announcement

Gaffe: Bayern sports director Christian Nerlinger made the announcement

Supporters reacted angrily, with hundreds messaging the club and saying that Bayern, whose three-point Bundesliga lead was cut last week by a 3-1 defeat to Borussia Moenchengladbach, would do better to focus on football.

'It could not be more ridiculous,' wrote one angry fan. 'There was nothing funny about last week's performance so start playing better instead of wasting your time on jokes.'