Amir Khan: WBA call for Lamont Peterson rematch

WBA join Khan camp in call for Peterson rematch as investigation into mystery man is launched

WBA vice president Gilberto Mendoza has called for a rematch of Amir Khan's controversial defeat by Lamont Peterson in Washington last month.

Boxing authorities have confirmed they will seek to discover who the 'unknown' man was sitting at the judges' table, acting
suspiciously around WBA fight supervisor Michael Welsh.

The WBA chief has called for a rematch after fresh questions were raised about the legitimacy of the American's victory.

Hat's a bit much: The mystery man celebrates with Peterson

Hat's a bit much: The mystery man celebrates with Peterson

When asked if the fight should be re-staged, Mendoza said: 'This will be
my personal opinion but that would be the right decision at the moment.'

'There should be a direct rematch of this fight. You have to guarantee fairness, you have to guarantee that no one who isn't directly involved can sit at the table.

Khan's promoter – CEO of Golden Boy – Richard Schaefer has demanded the result of his controversial bout with Peterson be changed to a no-contest in light of alleged scoring improprieties.

Schaefer insists he now knows the identity of the so-called 'mystery man' and described the evidence he has gathered as 'astonishing and shocking'.

Schaefer said either a no-contest should be declared – leading to Khan being handed back his titles – or an immediate rematch ordered.

Schaefer said: 'What I think would be the right thing to do would be a no-contest and therefore Amir would retain both titles.

'I do believe there is enough controversy to warrant the no-contest decision.

'At the very least I think both sanctioning organisations (the World Boxing Association and the International Boxing Federation) should order an immediate rematch and the two fighters can settle the score in the ring.'

Hat trick: The mystery man finds a ringside seat without any accreditation

Hat trick: The mystery man finds a
ringside seat without any accreditation

. . . he points at papers held by WBA fight supervisor Michael Welsh

. . . he points at papers held by WBA fight supervisor Michael Welsh

and continues to reach over, appearing to comment on the scorecards below

and continues to reach over, appearing
to comment on the scorecards below

Khan lost his IBF and WBA
light-welterweight belts after he was deducted two points for pushing
and immediately questioned the validity of the judging, launching an
appeal to be held later this month.

But the plot has thickened since the
emergence of these pictures, which appear to show a man in a hat acting
suspiciously around WBA fight supervisor Michael Welsh.

In round six he is shown seemingly leaning forward, touching the scorecard and talking to Welsh.

The IBF's public relations director Jeanette Salazar declined to make a full comment on the incident: 'At this point in time we have been advised by our lawyers not to speak out in order to keep the integrity of the (IBF) hearing which is scheduled on January 18.'

Khan also claims the mystery man –
who sat in front of Khan's father during the bout – celebrated in
Peterson's corner when the result was announced.

Khan told Sky Sports News: 'The man
in the black hat wasn't allowed to sit at the table because he had no
accreditation and nobody knew who he was.

'But then he came back and messed
around with the papers. All I want to know is who this person was.
Straight after the fight, he was in Peterson's corner celebrating with
him. When a judge is sat there judging a fight no one is allowed to
interfere.

'He was told to leave because he had
no accreditation and moved his chair right up to the judges' table and
sat there throughout the fight.

Card trick: The offending scorecard, with altered marks for both fighters

Card trick: The offending scorecard,
with altered marks for both fighters

He claimed he was the IBF commission,
but the IBF commission sat somewhere else.

'Why was he sat with the judges Why
was he handling papers Nobody is allowed to touch the judges'
scorecards.

'I've sent a complaint to the WBA and the IBF, who have said
they will get back to me in the next 24 hours and tell me who this
person was.'

The 26-year-old used his Twitter
account to release the photos and is demanding answers to 'four or five'
questions as allegations over the controversial fight continue.

Khan's business manager Asif Vali
confirmed they have asked for explanations from the various governing
bodies relating to a number of their concerns and an investigation has
since been launched.

Behind enemy lines: The man appears in Peterson's camp and then watches Khan camp after the result is announced

Behind enemy lines: The man appears in Peterson's camp and then watches Khan camp after the result is announced

Behind enemy lines: The man appears in Peterson's camp and then watches Khan camp after the result is announced

He said: 'There are four or five things that require answers and my job is to ensure we get those answers.

'I want to know the reason this
person sat there and what's going on. We did the table plan with Golden
Boy Promotions and the WBA official was already in his seat and the IBF
official was already in his seat, so who is this person

'What's he doing talking to the WBA Why is he handling the slips I want Michael Welsh to come out and speak about what was going on.'

Peterson's trainer and manager Barry Hunter was reluctant to discuss the latest developments, but was saddened that the controversy surrounding the fight had taken away from his man's achievement.

He would not commit to a rematch and criticised the Khan camp for making excuses.

'Before this guy, this mystery man, it was about the referee, it was about the judges, what next' he told Sky Sports News.

'My thing is we need to get back to boxing. We have to step back and see what's best for Lamont and what's best for his future as champion.'

Video: Watch the action in full…