Amir Khan mystery man is named

Mystery man at Khan fight is named as Peterson rematch emerges as likely outcome

The man at the middle of the latest controversy involving the fight between Amir Khan and Lamont Peterson has been named by the Briton's promoters as IBF employee Mustafa Ameen.

It has also emerged that Golden Boy Promotions have ordered a rematch between the two.

Mystery man: Ameen points at papers held by WBA fight supervisor Michael Welsh

Mystery man: Ameen points at papers held by WBA fight supervisor Michael Welsh

Bruising: Amir Khan in action against Lamont Peterson last month

Bruising: Amir Khan in action against Lamont Peterson last month

The news was being reported by Sky on Saturday morning, two days after Khan posted a series of images of the fight on Twitter, where he questioned the identity of the now named man at ringside. The man is shown making contact with WMA supervisor Michael Welsh.

Richard Schaefer, chief executive officer of Golden Boy Promotions, has now named the mystery man.

'His name is Mustafa Ameen and the IBF have confirmed to us his name, and they have confirmed to us that he's involved in an official capacity with the IBF,' Schaefer told Sky.

'However, he was not in Washington in an official IBF capacity, but the IBF asked the Washington commission to issue him a credential so that he could attend the fight.'

Peterson claimed a controversial points win in the light-welterweight title fight in Washington last month, after Khan was docked two points for pushing. The Khan camp was furious, with the young Briton launching an appeal.

Controversy: Khan lost to Peterson on points

Controversy: Khan lost to Peterson on points

Schaefer also claimed that the WBA have offered Khan a rematch with the American, and urged the IBF to follow suit.

'We have been informed today by the WBA that they will order an immediate rematch,' he said. 'We received a verbal confirmation today and we will get a written confirmation by next Tuesday.

'That means that no fighter can take an interim fight, that the next fight for Peterson would be a rematch.

'We hope that the IBF will follow because that's the least they can do. The ruling of the WBA to order an immediate rematch should put additional pressures on the IBF.'

He is also hopeful that the outcome of the fight will be changed to 'no contest', allowing Khan to retain his belts, but said: 'It's difficult to guess the no-contest ruling. I certainly hope this could happen.'

WBA president Gilberto Mendoza had earlier called for a rematch, saying: 'It generates a lot of controversy. There should be a rematch. The [Washington DC] Commission did not behave properly in this fight.'